Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tropical Conservatory

This scrapbook layout was a bit tricky because I did not have any of the photos for it printed yet and wanted to wait to print them in case I wanted to change up the sizes, so this required some extra planning, but I'm happy I waited to print them!


I decided, after feeling a bit blah about the last bike ride layout, that I wanted to make sure I incorporated more pictures this time, to keep the pages interesting and "fuller" feeling. So I used a basic sketch I saw in the e-book "Double-Page Design" by Ella Publishing Co on p. 29.

I thought this time I'd try inspiration for a double page layout instead of trying to fit 2 separate single page layout designs together, hoping to give it more continuity (I guess, the old-fashioned way of thinking of something myself didn't really appeal to me haha)


The hardest part of the left side was figuring out how to get the title and journaling in there, so finally decided to print something up on my computer (used font Segoe Script) so it would fit in the wood frame, but also still look like part of the page. I ended up using a graphic from my PrintMaster program and reducing the opacity of the image behind the text so the text would stand out, and I could just print on white cardstock instead of choosing from my limited printer paper color cardstock.


I accidentally left a small, but glaringly noticeable space in the middle of the right-side, which I didn't notice till AFTER the pictures were already very well-adhered into place. Poor husband, not knowing my dilemma, suggested I just move the middle picture down a bit to fill the space... instead I found a dragonfly rub-on from an old stash of stuff that ended up fitting perfectly, both in size and color.


HOW-TO:
  • The paper, which really made this layout come together, is Butterfly Garden by Pink Paislee
  • The handmade paper flowers are Flora Doodles by Petaloo - I used all but 1, and at $4.59 per 8, using 7 for this layout basically cost me $4 to add this embellishment! Sometimes, it's just crazy to think how much a page layout costs in time and money... but isn't it worth it!?
  • I used a Fiskars punch on Bazzill cardstock to create the strips of pictures, also having printed and cut the pictures to about 3.75"x2.8125" haha (originally was going to use 4 3x3 pictures on each side, but realized my printer didn't understand this dimension, so re-acclimated my layout idea to fit this new constraint)
  • The wood veneer frame was chalked with VersaMagic Hint of Pesto ink and is from Studio Calico

No comments:

Post a Comment