Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Favorite Time

This layout is for a pic we took at the zoo in Atlanta last October, feeding the birds - one of my favorite things to do, especially lately now that Chris let me put a bird feeder in the front yard and I have been attracting all sorts of wild birds (as well as squirrels and chipmunks and we know there's also a couple rabbits that aren't spotted too often, but we have photographic evidence!)


Anyway, the inspiration came from Sketch 6 in my Sketchbook 4 online class, specifically the layout done by Maggie Holmes for it! I loved using so many different pieces of paper, especially since I ordered a lot from the kit I used and it didn't feel so bad cutting into a sheet that I had 3 backup pieces of... in fact, it felt great!


The hardest part was trying to fill in the "space" in the page since I only had one photo, and it's not even a great photo. So I dusted off my Cricut and found some feathers from the "Straight from the nest" cartridge and cut them out in various sizes from Kraft paper. After I had them, they seemed a little bland, but luckily I had my Signo Uniball white pen and drew on them to finish the look! I liked this technique so much I ended up using it also for the word "Favorite" in the title, since the chipboard letters weren't standing out enough on their own. All in all, I am happy with my page!



HOW-TO:
  • The main kit I used for this page was the City of Lights kit by Studio Calico
  • I cut 2"x5" strips from those papers along the top then hand stitched around them
  • Below I added a torn out piece of paper from the "Top 10" Smash pad from EK Sucess
  • The tab on the right is also from EK Sucess while the Kraft label is from Maya Road
  • The letter stickers are thickers are by American Crafts and the ones for "Favorite" are from the Abroad collection by Studio Calico
  • The little birdie fabric brad is from the Pretty Party collection by Crate Paper - I just knew as soon as I got it, that I'd have to include it on this layout somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment