Monday, June 20, 2011

Graduation/scrolls card

I made this graduation card for my niece:


Idea lifted/altered from: Studio Calico weekly challenge by Jen Jockisch (couldn't find the link on the SC blog, but did find it posted here on the Two Peas in a Bucket website).

It was a little painful to cut up so many sheets of high quality cardstock to make the little scrolls, but it was definitely worth it! Here's a nice little close up of the scrolls:


HOW-TO:
  • Cut the green ledger looking cardstock from Cosmo Cricket at 6.5x4.5" (fyi, most of my cards lately have been mounted on Bazzill Kraft cardstock trimmed to around 10x7" and folded in half to make a 5x7" card since I have an extra set of A7 envelopes which are 5.25x7.25")
  • The papers for the scrolls were all from the Elementary collection by Studio Calico and I cut them into varying size strips from 1.75" to 3"
  • I wrapped the strips around a rounded pencil first, then tightened the wrap after removing the pencil and adhered with zots as well as a piece of regular scotch tape! Wow, I never use scotch tape anymore...
  • Zotted(?) them to the paper
  • I actually remembered to chalk the edges of the background sheet of paper (using Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distress ink - usually I don't remember this step till the very end of a project)
  • Originally planned to write my niece's name down the side in little banners but realized it might become too busy and banners didn't really fit the scrolls theme, so added a Tim Holtz stamp and embossed in black
  • Of course, after adding that stamp with the words on there, the letter stickers I had planned to use, were a different font/look than the stamp, and would've made dueling titles - yes, fighting titles, so I decided to print some smaller words on paper and cut a strip to put at the top, so it wouldn't compete with the stamped title
  • I might be overusing twine lately, but it's so easy and is always out from my last project...
  • Added little black photo corners since they fit a graduation theme, for my finishing touch

graduation card

No comments:

Post a Comment