Monday, October 26, 2015

#Challenge52Kits SoCal - June 2012

Hello SoCal, sunshine state/area in a kit from June 2012!


ABOUT SOCAL | What's not to love about this kit? The fresh orange shades, the pinks that somehow don't look awful against the orange, the sky blues… Loved this kit and still do!


SoCal main kit leftover

Santa Monica leftover

Venice Beach leftover

PICKING PHOTOS | I had these pics of me and my daughter but our shirts clashed, and even her outfit that she ended up in after her 2nd day of school didn't seem like it would translate well to a color photograph and layout. But then SoCal comes along and captures the feel of that afternoon last month! We were having fun playing outside, just being silly, talking and giggling together. She was in a good mood despite having spilled water on herself at school and not liking to be wet, she asked her teacher to change her outfit. So 2nd day of school, and the extra change of clothes I packed into her bookbag already got utilized haha! They really know what they're talking about when the school lists what to pack in the bookbags!


A LAYOUT | I started with the 2nd paper from the bottom, orange with the pink hearts and thought that would go perfectly with the pictures. Then I started grabbing a few more sheets of paper, and suddenly I had 5 sheets in my hand… and it looked so pretty in my hand I thought I would use them as strips just like that for my layout! But wasn't sure what else beyond that. I ended up grabbing a piece of grid card stock from my stash for the background, then to add some interest to the paper strips I was planning, I used my Silhouette to cut out some wonky hearts on each piece of paper. After that, I decided to fill in the hearts with a bit of light watercolor paint and then embellish on top!


BONUS PROJECT | I knew I should definitely find a way to use up the heart cut outs from the strips of paper, so I made this simple card base and sewed some lines on top with some gold thread. I'll try to remember to come back and update this post when I finish it up and use it!


NEXT UP | Elmwood Park from July 2012, lots of red, blue, orange, green, and yellow - sort of reminds me of a paint palette with all the basic colors!

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I LOVE that you're doing this!! You're layouts are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Pam!! Those old kits are finally getting some much needed attention hehe :)

    ReplyDelete