Friday, August 31, 2012

Those Summer Days

Our backyard neighbors are parents of a kid both me and my husband went to middle school and high school with, and we always see them in the backyard and end up chatting away. Their granddaughter, our school acquaintance's niece, likes to come over now when she sees me feeding the birds and ducks in the backyard and get in on the action as well. So a couple weeks ago, her and her friend came over, filled the bird feeders, then we all took a walk around the neighborhood together.


Just those laid back summer days before school starts back up and you're trying to squeeze out those last drops of freedom... remember those times? The girls saw a rock next to the sidewalk and immediately stopped to go climb it together. I never really thought about that rock before, even though I've walked by it a lot, and def never stopped to climb it... note to self: remember to stop and smell the, I mean, climb the rock!


So I finally got to do a girly layout! Most of my pics and layouts depict my husband doing something interesting, so I don't get to scrap as girly as I'd sometimes like - I own like a hundred doilies and have never used one!! Finally!


This layout was totally inspired/lifted from this layout by Teka! I loved those soft colors, muted by the vellum paper, and after taking this picture, I knew I wanted it to be a soft layout and try to exude that lazy hazy summery-ness to it. It was pretty easy and came together quickly, up until I decided to add the stitching at the end, but that's what the time after my husband goes to bed is best for :)


HOW-TO:
  • I used up most of my colored and gray washi tapes and just started stretching them diagonally across a piece of white card stock paper
  • I cut off the ends instead of folding them around the back, I guess I don't like the very slightly added padding that folding it makes
  • Not sure if you can tell but I don't yet own any 12x12 vellum paper, but I still had some old vellum paper from Creative Memories, in 10x12, so there is a small seam towards the left of the page where I had to line up an extra 2x12 inch strip
  • The cloud paper and the butterfly papers are from the Woodland Park 6x6 pad by October Afternoon
  • The doily, the little flowers and the pink ribbon came in the Summer of '69 kit by Studio Calico, as well as the letters for the word "Those" in the title, which are Mini Market stickers by October Afternoon
  • The letters that spell "Summer Days" are from the Sketchbook Amy Tangerine line by American Crafts
  • The speech bubble is from Hello Forever
  • I measured 1/8th" away from the edge of all 4 sides of my paper, then drew lines, punched holes 1/4" apart and sewed with white string (usually I sew 1/8" apart but that would've taken forever by hand)

No comments:

Post a Comment