Friday, July 6, 2012

Game time

I just got July's Studio Calico kit, "Elmwood Park" delivered yesterday while Chris and I were out taking a ride on the Sam Patch boat tour of the Erie Canal! It was so much fun, as was the Syracuse basketball game we went to this February vs. Georgetown Hoyas!




Basically I had 2 goals in mind when creating this layout:
1. Do NOT use all orange and blue (SU colors) colored papers since the pictures are so busy by themselves.
2. Just get the layout done - don't think too much!




So I picked some papers and just sort of started arranging them, and decided I'd worry about embellishments once I got the paper in place. Whenever I make an attempt at "random" it always comes out basically the same - straight lines, full use of paper (I like how others are able to leave big blank spaces or clump everything to one side but I just can't seem to do this), and one main area for embellishments. I guess this is my inherent scrapping style ha!




I used a new stamping technique for the border stamp next to the title, that I learned from the Summer Stamp School by Studio Calico - I stamped once after inking, then again next to it without re-inking, it worked really well to fill in the spaces without having to use 2 different colors!




HOW-TO:
  • I mostly used the Elmwood Park kit from Studio Calico
  • The left most orange with vanilla polka dots strip of paper is "Girl Friday" from the 9-to-5 collection by October Afternoon; also from the same collection is the star and floral die cuts, as well as the notebook edge sticker
  • The gray grid paper is the back of the ticket paper to the left, called "Fair Paper" from the Dilly Dally "Adventures" collection by My Mind's Eye
  • I loved how the wood planks on the back of the "Vintage Fans" paper from the This & That collection by Echo Park Paper Co looked like it could be a basketball court floor (minus the signature from Jim Boeheim of course)
  • The "Game" part of the title are Exclusive Denim Thickers by American Crafts
  • The "time" part of the title are Orange & Creme Mini Market stickers by October Afternoon
  • I stamped "VIP" using the Roxie letters stamp set from the Shoreline collection by American Crafts onto a printed tag by Jenni Bowlin and layered over a Vintage ticket
  • For the Chevron border stamp next to the title, I used an older Studio Calico stamp in Fall Leaf colored Prima Chalk ink
  • The Today badge is a Studio Calico Exclusive

No comments:

Post a Comment